Saturday, June 3, 2017

Are You Going to Silk Road Hunt VIII in Second Life?




Writing for children is as easy as describing the history of the Byzantium in three words.

Mo Willems







Another year has flown by!

Yes, my misadventures in Real Life (RL) have contributed to this.  (Significant Other nods for emphasis here.)  But, I didn’t really appreciate this until my old and good friend in Second Life (SL), Perryn Peterson, dropped me a line reminding that it was time for Silk Road VIII inworld!   

True to form, Perryn and his Merry Band in Mieville have come up with another
marvelous theme well suited for SL.

This year’s theme is Byzantium!

Yes, the ancient and long-lived successor to Rome is next in Perryn’s homages to long, lost empires and forgotten treasures! 

Past Hunts have had Xanadu, the Roman Empire, and Ali Baba as their themes. 

(I suspect that when Perryn runs out of known ancient empires for his themes, he’s going to start looking for some lost even to the history books.)

In a way, Mieville reminds me of Byzantium.  A corner of creativity, commerce, and orderly life surrounded by the chaos of an encroaching anarchy.  (Significant Other’s eyes roll at the analogy.  But, hey, have you wandered around SL lately?)

As usual, Mountain Rose is a major contributor and participant in the Silk Road Hunt.  Its Imperial, Byzantine palace alone is worth making the journey inworld to see.  The
grandeur and attention to detail here remind me of earlier, long lost builds in SL.  The sim is a major stop along the Hunt’s way!

Mountain Rose can be located here. 

Dozens of other merchants are participating this year and there gifts for intrepid hunters can be found here.  Look for their mini-hunts as well! 

Silk Road Hunt VII runs from June 1st to 30th.

            Inworld, the Silk Road Hunt begins as it did in previous years at the Asian Victorian Garden in Mieville.   (Before going into the pavilion and starting the Hunt, take some time to stroll the beautiful gardens created by Mike Olbracht, Mieville’s floral wunderkind.  His garden layouts have to be seen to be believed!)

            Perryn’s purpose with hunts like the Silk Road Hunt is to showcase the merchants of SL and their wares, to help residents (hunters) meet merchants, and to get out onto the Grid
and have fun!               

            Hunter information is available here. 

            I heartily recommend all dropping by and having some fun!

            Who knows?

            You might set the record for completing the Hunt!  (Or, ever run into me!)

            I’d like to thank Perryn for his time and assistance in helping me to prepare this story, not to mention, his choreographing another spectacular event inworld! 

            Additional pictures of the Hunt can be found here.

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
 please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!



No comments: